Monday, February 23, 2009

from the tongue of henry


So, Henry has something called tongue thrust, which essentially means that the only muscle in his tongue that functions is the muscle that makes the tongue go backward and forward, like when a baby suckles. His speech has always been pretty messed up, and he's done a lot of speech therapy in the past, but this year we started doing tongue thrust therapy. He hates it, and I can't say I'm a big fan either. It's pretty disgusting to poke a tongue with a stick. But, every day we do tongue exercises anyway.

About a month ago, Henry was having a really hard day. So, I brought him to our bedroom to read scriptures with me (he loves reading scriptures). After a little while, he said, "Mom, everyone's different."
Me: Yeah, everyone is different.
Henry: And everyone sounds different.
Me: Yeah (getting skeptical).
Henry: How would you like it if I hurt your tongue with a stick just because you sound different?

I explained how everyone sounds a little different, but that the way he sounds is even more different than usual, that I want people to be able to understand him, that the way he talks could make it hard for people to know how smart he really is and that I don't want that to happen, etc.

Then about a week ago, we were in the car and this song came on my iPod (or maybe another song by her, but this is the best link I could find).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYl0uLrXP7U&NR=1
Henry: Her voice sounds funny.
Pause.
Henry: She needs to do tongue exercises.
I started laughing. Another pause.
Henry: Now I understand why I need to do tongue exercises.

5 comments:

Britney said...

He is so sweet and so "under the radar" funny!

Best of luck with the tongue thrust exercises -- what a trooper he is!

Kara said...

Yeah. He's a good kid. I don't know if he knows when he's being funny or not, but he makes us laugh.

Heather said...

I wish I had a song that helped my kids understand why they have to do what is best for them. He'll thank you for it.

Sarah said...

I heartily second Britney's comments - just such an honest, guileless, sweet kid! And kudos to both Henry and his parents for keeping it up with the tongue exercises. I can barely get my kids' teeth brushed regularly!

Josie said...

hey kara! i didn't even know this blog existed until your beautiful v day card. really, so pretty. i can't wait to catch up.

as for dylan and the rash...he got the rash on day 10 of the antibiotic and it lasted about a week. it sucked, but now he's completely over it. good luck! give that boy some benadryl!