Monday, August 24, 2009

going back west

We took a slightly longer road home from Minnesota to go to Mount Rushmore. That part of South Dakota was crawling with bikers because the day we were travelling through was the first day of Sturgis (this huge motorcycle rally, in case you haven't heard.) We stopped at Wall Drug on the way there, and it was one of the most bizarre places I've been.





Mount Rushmore was way more amazing than I remember it being when I was a child. Not that Mount Rushmore itself had changed, but it seems like there wasn't a museum and fancy walkway and stuff when I was little. And, I think I just appreciate the enormity of the undertaking a lot more now. It was well worth the extra hour or so it added on to our journey. And, the Black Hills area is gorgeous compared to the rest of South Dakota (and all of Nebraska, sorry Nebraska).


3 comments:

Brittani said...

it sounds like you guys had an awesome vacation, how cool for your kiddos!

Britney said...

Great pictures!!! I would love to take my kids to see Mt. Rushmore. Looks like you had a great time.

Heather said...

It is hard not to stop at Wall Drug with all of those millions of signs telling you to do it. That is cool that you actually did and got all those crazy pictures to prove it. 4 years ago we also stopped at Mt Rushmore, but it was on our way to Wisconsin. I was also a lot more impressed with it as an adult than as a kid. Did you see any mountain goats?